Little Lies and Massive Dreams

My name is Bear. I play in a band called Talking About Commas and live and work in Providence, RI. I like music.
Free Hit Counter
Free Counter

Feb 16, 2011

Bloodbuzz Ohio

I've heard of the National but have never heard them before (at least knowingly - "indie" bands are all over commercials these days). So yesterday I saw a video of my buddy's band Big Light playing a song called "Bloodbuzz Ohio" at a Halloween gig they did last fall at the Las Tortugas festival in Yosemite. I was immediately taken aback. This song was fantastic. I googled the name in hopes to find lyrics and I discover that it's actually a song by The National. How did I not know this already? I guess they are just one of those bands that get lumped in to a lot of discussions I have and have read about, but have never checked out, oddly enough. No time like the present right?

I think I may have some sort of musical OCD because when I hear a new song that reaches me like this one does I cannot not listen to it. I've watched youtube videos of the band playing "BloodBuzz Ohio", downloaded their newest album High Violet, and have already learned how to play and sing it myself. just devoured. The last time a song did this to me was last summer when I heard Dawes' "That Western Skyline". It makes me feel alive...

Anywho, I share this story with you because in the wake of the Arcade Fire winning "Album of the Year" (which I'm ecstatic about) and reading about how awful the recording industry is suffering and giant corporate chains (like Borders, Tower records, etc) are going bankrupt; music by the people and for the people is flourishing. Clearly there are some people that don't "get it" (quite hilariously represented on FunnyOrDie.com) and still equate album sales with talent or don't search hard enough for quality music. But it's there, it's here. In a world where the Black Eyed Peas play on our biggest stage and 6 idiots from Jersey Shore are among Hollywood's elite; it's nice to know that the world is starting to become hip (pun intended) to the real artists. The ones that play music (or make films or "vandalize" public walls etc) because they HAVE to. NOT because they can make a quick buck or walk down a red carpet. I'm a musician - I don't make shit for money (in the words of the National "I still owe money to the money to the money I owe") but I wake up everyday grateful that I am able to do what I love for a living and I wouldn't change it for anything.

I stumbled upon the video below of a woman singing her interpretation of "BloodBuzz Ohio" with an ukulele (should it be "a" or "an" ukulele? an sounds weird but looks correct). I don't know who she is or what her deal is but i do know that she "gets it" and that brings a smile to my face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home